The Fabulous Mykonos Beaches
If Mykonos wasn't internationally famous for the its jet-set visitors, amazing hotels and incredible nightlife, it would definitely be world-wide known for its heavenly made beaches. Sandy, with crystal-clear waters, organized or more isolated, crowded places-to-be or more low-key Mykonos beaches are not so easy to explore in just one visit to the island.
Εxcept for the sandy organized beach of Agios Stefanos which the Alkistis overlooks to, the west mykonian coast features several beaches such as:
- Megali Ammos: This beach has no umbrellas and sunbeds due to the strong northerly winds. A rather big slab in the sea makes it a little difficult to swim. There is a tavern.
- Ornos: Busy family and tourist sandy beach, with sunbeds, umbrellas, restaurants, bars and schools for sea-skiing and surfing. 2km north of Ornos is the beach of Korfos, suitable for wind-surfing, but not for swimming or sunbathing.
- Agios Ioannis (a.k.a. Shirley Valentine Beach): A small beach with beautiful views towards the islands of Delos and Rheneia that never gets over crowded; suitable for snorkeling, with deck chairs to rent and great tavern and cocktail bar very close. Next to Agios Ioannis is the small beach of Kapari, with a small nudist section.
- Psarou: This upmarket beach with lots of restaurants and bars is popular amongst Greek celebrities.
- Platys Gialos: Busy family and tourist, long sandy beach with lots of restaurants and beach bars. From the Platys Gialos beach there are boats departing to other beaches. Accessible by public bus, car or boat.
- Paranga: Sandy beach with beach bars and restaurants that gets really noisy in the afternoon. Nudity is quite common (especially on the right end). Accessible by public bus, car and boat.
- Paradise: Popular beach, known for its parties, that gets really loud in the afternoon.
- Super Paradise: Restaurants, beach bars, a gay community favorite, some nudism on its right side and lots of party noise after 4pm.
- Elia: One of the larger beaches on Mykonos, well organized with sunbeds, umbrellas, various water sports (ski and jet-ski), three restaurants and taverns. Also popular with the gay community. Nudity is permitted but not as common as at Paradise, Super Paradise and Paranga.
- Agrari: Less popular than its neighbour Elia and much calmer. Well organized with sunbeds , umbrellas and many watersports.
- Kalo Livadi: A popular, long sandy beach with tavernas and beach bars with loud music. Accessible by car or public bus. Better to avoid when too windy.
- Kalafatis: A very large, beautiful and less developed beach and a favourite with windsurfers due to the offshore breeze. A variety of water sports are available here, including jet ski, water ski, wakeboard and tube rides. Accessible by car or public bus.
- Agia Anna: Close to Kalafatis, this is a small beach with crystal-clear waters, some umbrellas and a small restaurant. Accesible by car or public bus. The beach also features a surfing and scuba diving school.
- Lia: Uncrowded, sandy beach with deck chairs and umbrellas to rent, two taverns and a beach bar. Accessible by car.
- Fokos: A small beach with coarse sand, not known by many people. Fokos is rarely calm and gets really dusty from the winds. This beach has no facilities like sunbeds and umbrellas, but it offers a tavern as well as a Horseriding School. Αccesible only by car.
- Ftelia: Ideal for windsurfing, due to the strong summer northern winds, but not for swimming or sunbathing. Isolated and very tranquil even during July and August, because it is often quite windy and dusty. Αccesible only by car.
- Panormos: A rather remote long and beautiful beach, characterized as a landscape of extreme beauty (protected under the Natura 2000 Environmental Program). It features two restaurants, a trendy beach club and a cosy six-tables-only little tavern that gets really busy on high-season. No sun beds, only a few difficult-to-find-free umbrellas. Also a nudist beach mostly in the right side. Αccesible only by car.
- Agios Sostis: One of the most remote beaches on the island, without rental lounge chairs and umbrellas, the beautiful Agios Sostis beach is peaceful, quiet and features one restaurant. Nude bathing tolerant. Accessible by car.